The Biden campaign is spreading disinformation, trying to trick and scare seniors like the con artist and career politician that Biden is. Fact-checkers have debunked Biden’s shameless lies about Social Security and Medicare, but that hasn’t stopped Biden from repeating them anyway.
FACT: Biden’s attack that President Trump will “slash” Medicare benefits is a lie.
- Washington Post: “[W]e were unaware of any Trump proposal or policy effort to cut Medicare benefits… [T]he Biden campaign goes too far to declare he is seeking to ‘slash’ Medicare benefits… The Biden campaign earns Two Pinocchios.”
FACT: Biden’s attack that President Trump will defund Social Security is a lie.
- FactCheck.org: Biden’s False Attacks on Trump’s Social Security ‘Plan’
- Washington Post: 4 Pinocchios: Biden campaign attacks a Trump Social Security ‘plan’ that does not exist
- PolitiFact: Mostly False: Fact-checking Joe Biden’s claim that Donald Trump’s payroll tax ‘plan’ sinks Social Security
- KSTP-TV (Minneapolis): Does Trump plan to eliminate Social Security? No.
- WGAL-TV (Lancaster): “We’re calling this claim false.”
In stark contrast to Biden’s absurd claims, PolitiFact noted that President Trump has kept his promise to protect Social Security benefits for America’s seniors.
In addition, last week, when Biden speaking to older voters in Florida, he said, “Who was [President Trump] talking about when he says [the coronavirus] affects ‘virtually nobody?’ He was talking about America’s seniors. He was talking about you.”
This is a flat-out lie, and Biden knows it. Here is what President Trump actually said on September 21:
- “Now we know it affects elderly people, elderly people with heart problems and other problems. If they have other problems, that’s what it really affects. That’s it. You know, in some states, thousands of people, nobody young below the age of 18, like nobody. They have a strong immune system, who knows. Take your hat off to the young because they have a hell of an immune system, but it affects virtually nobody. It’s an amazing thing. By the way, open your schools.”
White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnancy addressed this on September 22:
- “He was referring to young people… COVID has a .01% mortality rate for people under the age of 18. So, it is not a disease that affects young people in the same way as older people which is the exact point the president was making last night.”
Joe Biden himself said on September 16: “Children are less likely to die, although they can. And it’s more likely that their teachers and the elderly grandparents etcetera would be exposed. So the first [vaccines] would go to the people the most susceptible.”
Biden continues to lie about the President’s record. He needs to be called out on all of these mistruths. The President will protect social security, Medicare, and has the best interests of seniors at heart in dealing with the coronavirus.